Thursday, October 30, 2008

I don't believe we've ever reviewed a documentary on this site as one of our movie dates, but there's always a first time for everything.

Unfortunately, Wifey doesn't subscribe to that same philosophy so yours truly was flying solo once again when it came time to watch and review this one.

Let me just start by saying that I have a new personal favorite flick in my Top 10! This one was excellent!

It's called The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters and it's a story about a middle school science teacher named
Steve Wiebe as he tries to take the world high score for the arcade game Donkey Kong from reigning champion Billy Mitchell.

I honestly don't remember how I learned about this incredible epic, but I do remember that it was the trailer that really got my attention. Watch it for yourself and let me know if it has the same pull on you.

Here's the trailer:

HUBBY'S REVIEW

Within the first 10 minutes of this one I hit the pause button. The reason? I needed to know if I was actually wacthing a real-life documentary or not because the first few minutes had the distinct feeling as if I were watching a mock-u-mentary akin to TV's The Office.

After a quick Google search, I soon realized that I was going to be treating myself to one of the most unique and mesmerizing stories I had ever seen - this was a real story, about real people, real places, and real events!

That's what makes this film so compelling. The video game subculture is definitely unique (no shocker there), but the story of these two men - and average middle-class school teacher and a charismatic, arrogant business owner - competing for the title of the Best Donkey Kong Player in the World was captivating.

The entire thing has a Rocky feel to it because Steve Wiebe is definitely the clear underdog who just wants to make his mark upon this world. Even his own moving backstory is told brilliantly to get the audience to sympathize with him and, ultimately, to root for him.

Yet, the most amazing part of this documentary is watching Billy Mitchell's fall from grace because he doesn't handle it with grace at all. In fact, he's comes across as a real jerk for many reasons.

The King of Kong is funny and compelling with more than a few poignant insights into human behavior. There's more drama in this small documentary than in most serious Oscar contenders. A marriage is on the line, integrity is tested, and friendships falter - all in the name of a video game called Donkey Kong.

Do yourself a favor and rent this one today. I assure you that you won't be disappointed.

I'm giving it 4 Ben & Jerry's ice creams out of 5.