REVIEW: ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS

Posted by Hubby & Wifey at 3:23 AM

Monday, October 20, 2008

Not really part of our movie date series, but a new movie we watched nonetheless and that makes it worthy of being mentioned here in my book.

Of course, I'm talking about Alvin And The Chipmunks starring Jason Lee that we DVR'd back in the Spring for the Radt tots and that we keep playing over and over and over again to this day.


Seriously, I think we've seen this about 80 times.

Here's the trailer:




HUBBY'S REVIEW

Believe it or not, this is actually a pretty good one. If the measure of how good a film is can be determined by how many times you let your kids watch it (and that's determined by your tolerance and annoyance meters) then this one is a complete success!

Sure, it has its share of bland potty humor and is a rehashed kids' movie formula, but it doesn't get on my nerves at all and I like that about it.

Funny, original, and it not only has the neat special effects, but also some catchy tunes too. I especially like how they came up with a scene that shows how the chipmunks came up with their Christmas classic that we hear each year on the radio.

I know that some people said that Jason Lee is now a "sell-out" because he's doing movies like this. Please. The guy just wants to have a successful career and what better way to do that than to star in a kids movie (one that could become an entire series I might add)?

If you want me to get really deep for a moment, I would say that this is a familiar story of exploitation and greed, mostly embodied by Ian the evil music mogul. The focus on the bad adults making their fortunes off gimmicky kids suggests an object lesson for those who persist in blaming Britney - without moral or emotional guidance, overworked and overpraised, the kids become preening, self-involved monsters.

That's a good lesson for parents everywhere.

I give this one 2.5 out of 5 Ben & Jerry's.

0 comments: