REVIEW: BELLA

Posted by Hubby & Wifey at 1:47 PM

Monday, October 20, 2008

Sticking with the alternatives-to-abortion theme in recent films, next up on our list was the independent feature Bella, which saw critical acclaim.

I'm not quite sure how we learned about this one, but we remembered that we wanted to see it and it made sense to group it together with similar films like Juno and August Rush.

Here's the trailer:




HUBBY'S REVIEW

Truth be told, I was a little disappointed with this movie. Yes, I applaud Hollywood for making another anti-abortion film although this one I fear was hijacked by the Religious Right, which I classify myself as being a part of - to an extent - politically.

For instance, every news item I saw about this film prior to seeing it framed it as being an "abortion movie" when I felt as if that was a mischaracterization. In fact, that was just a sub-plot to the story. A better description would've been to call it "a story of redemption, forgiveness, and healing" instead.

The acting was superb though and you get to see several no-name actors and actresses give some rather moving performances.

All in all, I give this one 2 Ben & Jerry's because it did not live up to all the hype or my high expectations.

RECOMMENDED:
Eduardo Verastegui: The Man Behind Bella

0 comments: