REVIEW: I AM LEGEND

Posted by Hubby & Wifey at 4:06 PM

Monday, October 20, 2008

Will Smith in another apocalyptic film? Sign me up! I can't remember the last time I was this excited about one of our movie dates.

Wait, on second thought, let me rephrase that...ANY time spent with Wifey is exciting and I look forward to each and every one of those moments.

I knew going in that I Am Legend was a remake (Will Smith joins the ranks of Vincent Price in 1964's The Last Man On Earth and Charlton Heston in 1971's Omega Man) as the star of an adaptation of Richard Matheson's 1954 novel of the same name, and I also knew from the trailer that I was going to like this one. See it for yourself.

Here's the trailer:




HUBBY'S REVIEW

Major letdown. I'm so disappointed.

I thought for sure this was going to be a fun and entertaining ride, but instead it was nothing more than a lazy attempt to get my hard-earned dollars.

The biggest complaint I have? How the heck does a movie star like Will Smith sign off and agree to a role where he will be up against LAUGHABLE and COMPLETELY FAKE looking CGI Zombies? You'd think the star of Independence Day would know better.

I know what you're thinking, "Come on Hubby. You mean to tell me that the ENTIRE movie hinges on whether or not computer animation looks believable enough?" Yes, that's precisely what I'm saying. It becomes such a distraction and makes the whole thing feel awful - it's painful to sit through and watch.

The monsters are routine CGI creations, crudely animated and unconvincing. In a film of such visual majesty and surprisingly weighty drama, they present an unfortunate and needless distraction.

I'll admith that I Am Legend overcomes questionable special effects and succeeds largely on the strength of Will Smith's mesmerizing performance.

With I Am Legend, Will Smith has accomplished what Tom Hanks did back in 2000 - effectively star in a movie that involves very little interaction with other human counterparts.

Still, Director Francis Lawrence lowers his game by resorting to cheap scares, the absence of which is pretty much all that saved his only other feature, 2005’s Constantine, from being completely laughable.

I was VERY DISAPPOINTED and so I'm only giving this 2 Ben & Jerry's out of 5.

0 comments: