REVIEW: Live Free Or Die Hard

Posted by Hubby & Wifey at 3:36 PM

Monday, March 24, 2008

Bruce Willis + Big Budget + Action & Adventure = An Entertaining 2 Hours. At least, that's the theory anyway, right?

Watch Trailer.





WIFEY'S REVIEW

I’ve always liked action packed movies and for all of you that have seen the Die Hard movies this is another good one!

Bruce Willis does another fine job in this movie and he resumes the role of a very funny/serious guy all packed into one.

Let me just say up front that in any and all action films I have a really hard time telling who's who seeing they move so fast so I don’t know if I’m rooting on the good guys or the bad guys. This one was easier for me to folow.

It's all based on cyber skills and hacking into the government's databases. This is a real nail biting film.

The only downfall was that 50 minutes into this movie you had no clue what they were after because all you knew was that Matt Ferrell (Justin Long) was a very important kid who new a lot about the cyber world. And nothing could happen to him and it was up to Detective John McClane to get this kid to safety and he had a lot of obstacles to go through!

I had to stop and think how scary it would be if there were people out there that could successfully hack into the government's system and take everything down.

At times during this film I had to laugh because the logic they used was not smart, some of the stunts where so unrealistic that I could of thought of something better to use! (Hubby, help me out on this one you know what I mean.)

Overall, I enjoyed this movie and would rate it a 3.75 out of 5 Ben & Jerry’s.


HUBBY'S REVIEW

“Yipee Kiyeah Mother%$#*@!!!” Yes, John McClane is back in this 4th installment of this action-packed series and this time the threat is cyber terrorism.

While I thought the premise was very timely and creative there were a few instances late in the film where the plot begs you to suspend disbelief a little too much for my taste.

Don’t get me wrong, the action was phenomenal and entertaining (you certainly get what you expect from this franchise!) and there was even one of the most bad-ass scenes I’ve ever seen from a “tough guy” character in a movie, but it just got too smart for its own good and left some big holes in the storyline.

Plus, I didn’t like the fact that - - once again - - Hollywood decided to go with the “home-grown terrorist” character to avoid political controversy when having some foreign national play that role would’ve been more believable. I mean, when was the last time a White Male Terrorist from the U.S. attacked this country and it’s people on such a grand scale and in such terrifying fasion?

And if you tell me Timothy McVeigh I'll respectfully ask you to try again given the fact that new evidence is making it clear that foreign terrorists were most likely involved as well. Besides, even if they weren't, that's ONLY ONE case in the past 40 years of "mainstream" terrorism. Exactly.

But hey, CCR’s “Fortunate Son” closed out the film and led us to the credits so all’s well that ends well I guess.

Since Wifey likes giving ratings in fractions of points I'll give it a 2.5 bringing a total OMD Rating to 3.125.

On a side note, anyone else find it tastefully ironic that the guy from the "I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC" commercials was a central character in a fi;m about cyber-terrorism?

0 comments: