REVIEW: The Human Stain

Posted by Hubby & Wifey at 1:42 PM

Monday, July 7, 2008

I believe this is the very first film we've reviewed that was based on another original work. In this case, this movie was adapted from a best-selling novel of the same name that was published in 2000 by Philip Roth. Would it have the same fate as many other movies before it that attempted to capture the spirit of a great work of literary merit?

Watch Trailer.


WIFEY'S REVIEW

Were Back!!! Now we have to remember all the movies we saw in the last 2 months so sit back and enjoy all the new reviews!

Ok, for this movie, all I can say is don’t waste your night on this one. I thought it was going to be good seeing
Wentworth Miller (Prison Break hottie!) is in this, but you hardly see him. Nicole Kidman's character is such a whore and the scenes she was in I felt very uncomfortable watching them with my husband (so trust me, it was bad). I like Anthony Hopkins and he was just weird in this movie.

Anyways, it’s mainly about a Coleman Silk (Anthony Hopkins) looses his wife and runs into Faunia Farley (Nicole Kidman) while she’s pursuing him she’s also trying to dodge her psycho ex husband, which it takes forever to get any answers out of her during the movie. Anthony's character is trying to get over the loss of his wife who died of a heart attack, but is so drawn to Nicole’s character.

During the movie you keep jumping back and forth in time to see how he grew up and how he met his wife. This part was ok, but overall this movie was B-A-D! I really don’t know what else to write for it. Sorry.


I give it 1.5 Ben & Jerry's Ice Creams out of 5.


HUBBY'S REVIEW

Have you ever had to watch a movie with your husband or your wife that starred an actress or an actor that you knew they “had the hots” for? I have.

His name is Wentworth Miller and he’s a stud - apparently. He looks NOTHING like me though so I’m confused about what that says about what it was that really attracted my wife to me.

Unfortunately, I think that Wifey would agree that all the good looks in the world doesn’t mean your movie (
or TV show on Fox for that matter) will be a hit or even remotely entertaining.

Based on a novel by the same name, this film also starred Anthony Hopkins and Nicole Kidman. Like most adaptations, the screen version leaves something to be desired.

Funny I used the word “desire” because that’s the single emotion that drives each character in this film. Depending on who you are and the circumstances you find yourself in, it’s this “desire” that seems to determine your specific course of action regardless of whether or not it’s the right thing to do.

In that sense, we are told to believe that “desire” is to blame for everything. We are free from personal responsibility because we all have underlying passions and “desires” that motivate us. Morality is relative in this worldview. I guess you can think of “desire” as the “human stain” that we all have to deal with.

I don’t know, for me it all just didn’t work and I highly doubt that had I read the novel prior to watching the movie it would’ve made any kind of a difference.

Gary Sinise dancing with Anthony Hopkins to the classic song “Heaven” on the porch was also very strange. Do yourself a favor and rent another movie instead.

Or, if you're like my wife, just tune into Fox on Monday nights to watch Prison Break so you can see Wentworth in all his mumbling glory. And if that doesn't work you can always stare at your
Tiger Beat Magazine that has picture after picture of your favorite hottie.

1
Ben & Jerry’s for me, which brings the official Our Movie Date score for this film to 1.25 - yikes!

0 comments: