REVIEW: The Kite Runner

Posted by Hubby & Wifey at 11:55 PM

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

As previously mentioned, Wifey left me solo this week and I thought I'd catch up on some of our movie watching. I guess you could say I got stood up on these last 2 dates.

That's ok though because this next film was subtitled. If you're new to Our Movie Date you should know that Wifey will not watch black-and-white, silent, or subtitled films - at all.

As you can imagine that makes things difficult when you're trying to watch and review some of the greatest films of all time.

In any event, next up is
The Kite Runner and it's another film based off of a novel. In this case one by Khaled Hosseini. Watch Trailer.


HUBBY'S REVIEW

I want to begin this review by saying that this was one of the best films I've ever seen and certainly one of the best I've seen all year. Maybe #1 or #2 on my list.


I really had no idea what to expect coming into things since I never read the novel or knew much about the story.

From the first few minutes, this viewer became engrossed and emotionally connected to the characters and their plight. Just trying to imagine what life must have felt like for them when their safe and secure world that they knew as children came crashing down around them as it descended into chaos was unnerving for me.

I'm going to resist the urge to make this political, but I will say that anyone who watches this movie and comes away with the same feelings they might have had about the Taliban going into it needs a serious reality check. This is the true story of what life was like under their rule from those who lived under it's menacing oppression. I'm glad we're helping to liberate the people of Afghanistan.

The film brilliantly captures the essence of self-sacrificial love on many occasions. There were many instances where I found myself wondering whether or not I would do the same thing - the right thing. I'd like to think I would, but under those extreme conditions who really knows?

Yet, the point of the story is to draw attention to a serious problem that exists in the world. Much like what Hotel Rwanda did for that nation's problems, this movie calls our attention to a part of the world that dominates our headlines still to this day.

Love. Sacrifice. Redemption. That's what this film is about and that's the spirit it so marvelously captures and exhibits for us to revel in.

I give it a perfect score - 5 Ben & Jerry's out of 5!

0 comments: